Tuesday 16 November 2010

Village Schools 2: Rom

In my first week I also visited four schools but I spent most of my timesworking with Phalla on other CCHA matters. I must stay that working at the schools with the teachers is one of the highlights of my work here. I am so pleased I am at a  village school again this evening.

Rom is a tall young man by Cambodian standard; a gentle giant with an endearing smile that makes you calm and serene. He is one of the teachers most reluctant to speak English but this is not because his knowledge suffers.

When I arrive at his school Rom is buzzing around me with energy. ‘Teacher, pronounce this for me please’ he asks, and we go through the words that he will teach today. Today we teach the sound of the long ‘I’ like in ‘ripe’. We also get the opportunity to practise sounds of consonants, like 'v', 'f' and 'd', which they all struggle with.

I am impressed by the respect this man commands with his gentle manner. I am impressed by how much love he transfers through his teaching. During the second lesson I get an unexpected present. Phalla joins in and I see him in action for the first time. Phalla is gifted, truly gifted. The class comes to life when he stands up skilfully combining the new lesson with old ones. ‘Rip’ and example for a short ‘I’, ‘ripe’ an example for the long ‘i’.

We finish after 7 but we are so energised. So we play the clapping game. The joyful laughter of the children fills the vast countryside surrounding the school. Gradually the people in nearby dwellings gather around us and applaud excitedly, willing us to continue. But again the children have to make their way home. It’s nearly eight.

As I sit in the car I am truly exhausted today. Phalla chats away and I just listen to the sound of his voice. I notice how much teaching centres, calms and energises Phalla. It a need that he has to satisfy rather than a job for him. Teaching is part of his nature. I ponder, Phalla narrates another story, the stars peak out,  locals wave on their bicycles, another day passes.  

No comments:

Post a Comment