Thursday 18 November 2010

Fernando and Ines

I am becoming a permanent 'feature' of the restaurant, an adopted resident that that facilitates communications, gives directions and has sometimes brief other times longer encounters with people passing through. Today a man in his late forties sits on the table in front of me and to the left admiring the slow flow of people, the passing monks and children. I don’t recall how we start talking. Fernando is a pilot based in Singapore. He trains pilots to fly the massive Boeing 747 aircraft that carried me to Korea. He is here for a three day flying visit with Ines his niece , an airhostess, that stopped over in Singapore. When Ines walks out of the massage parlour above the restaurant the resemblance. Ines is …energy and light. We connect instantly in the limited time we get to talk to each other and discuss Cambodian culture and particularly our observaions on women. She has been here only for 3 days but I find her extremely insightful and perceptive. Her antenna is definitely tuned in.

Fernando and Ines become my Puerto Rican connection in Cambodia. We have a discussion about their family’s history and how Fernando’s family including Ines’ mother, left Puerto Rico for Cuba and later departed for the land of abundance and endless possibilities. It is nice to hear their Puerto Rican accent softening American English words. I feel an affinity to these two and it is so easy to be around them. I am sad to see them go but they have to catch a plane back to Singapore. As my mother rightly says:  ‘the more friends you make the more homes you have in this world’. I think I have two more added to my list.

No comments:

Post a Comment