Friday 19 November 2010

Angor Photo Festival

As you have figured I love roaming the streets of Siem Reap. I find out about the Angor Photo Festival after a visit to the John McDermott gallery on Pokambor Avevnue. The Angor Photo Festival alleges to be the unique in South East Asia. In its 6th year it has invited submissions of Asian photographers and offers them free photgraphic workshops with renowned photographers. Work of more than 110 photographers from 47 countries, is exhibited in different galleries and outdoor spaces. The work is curated by two well-known figures in photography, Yumi Goto and Antoine d’Agata,  with Françoise Callier, the Program Director of the Angkor Photo Festival. Unfortunately I will miss the presentation on the 15 Asian women photographers on Saturday but I catch some of the work today as I wander in the city streets. Here is a glimpse:


Outdoor exhibits

I catch some of the work exhibited at Hotel de La Paix, only the artist's name sounds Italian rather than Asian to me (Paolo Patrizi) . I also briefly meet Sasha Constable who is the exhibitions manager at the Hotel De La Paix. Hotel De La Paix also hosts an exhibition of KILT's jewllery, gratefully increasing their chances of transaction at this prestigious venue.

The work that seems to be displayed at the Angor festival is not necessarily placed in Asia. After all photographers are restless to travel further from home.  And Asian photographers I guess want to see the rest of the world. So I also marvel at image of European starlings and cuban images narriating day to day life stories! There is also an interesting exhibition on life and disability and some local perspectives. Much of it documents hardship and poverty-mainly in black and white output.

I could definitely see Mr Green's Cambodia photos exhibited here. There is nothing comparable to his work on display. I think that the warmth, positivity and authenticity of Dan Green's work is missing. It would add a different and positive perspective to the documentation of this area's Khmer people.  For the next one, good luck convincing them you are Asian Dan (but you do have Italian blood!).  I reckon they should invite you to exhibit anyway.

If you want to know more about the festival there is a blog:

No comments:

Post a Comment